MARICELA AMEZOLA was born in Santa Ana, California and was raised by migrant working parents in the Central Valley. She is fluent in Spanish. She obtained her law degree from Michigan State University College of Law where she graduated Cum Laude. She relocated to California where she sat and passed the California Bar.
Maricela is the founder of Amezola Legal Group, APC, a full-service boutique style immigration law office representing individuals and families since 2010. Maricela is dedicated to the practice of immigration law through the representation of families and individuals before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Department of State (DOS), Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the United States Department of State, the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), and the United States Court of Appeals.
Maricela defends clients in removal (deportation) proceedings in Immigration Courts nationwide and before the Board of Immigration Appeals. She has also represented clients in federal appellate courts. Maricela is knowledgeable about the interplay between immigration law and criminal law; she consults with non-citizen defendants and their criminal attorneys about the immigration consequences of specific criminal charges and convictions. She knows on a personal level the devastating consequences of criminal convictions and deportation orders.
Maricela dedicates her spare time to volunteering county wide bringing her expertise and knowledge to the indigent community. Her goal is simple, to help all people, promptly, with care and exceptional competence. She prides herself in helping individuals when they are most vulnerable and guiding them through the process from beginning to end. In her spare time, she speaks at various colleges and Universities to non-traditional students, high school students at risk and anyone else interested in the law. She is a mentor and role model to many.
Maricela is a passionate advocate for the marginalized and voice-less. Maricela lives in San Diego with her husband and her two dogs. When she is not advocating for clients, she likes to travel and learn from those various cultures to keep enriching her practice.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
State of California
United States District Court, Southern District of California
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Michigan State University, College of Law, Juris Doctorate
California State University, Fresno, Bachelor of Science in Criminology
ASSOCIATIONS / AFFILIATIONS:
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), San Diego Chapter’s ICE/ERO Committee Chair – 2014/15
- California Western School of Law Community Law Project (CLP), Volunteer Attorney / Legal Advisor
- American Bar Association’s Immigration Justice Project (IJP), Volunteer Attorney / Mentor
- National Latina Business Women’s Association, Prior Board Member & Newsletter Editor in Chief
- Greater San Diego Business Association, Member
- San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association, Member
- Lawyers Club of San Diego, Member
- 2015 Business Mastermind, Member
- 2016/2017 AILA-San Diego Chapter Secretary Executive Committee Member
- 2016/2017 San Diego Immigrant Rights Consortium Board of Directors, member, Legal Representative
- 2012 American Bar Association Robert S. Gerber Memorial Award for Outstanding Pro-Bono Service by an Individual Attorney
- Special Volunteer Recognition Certificate, American Bar Association’s Immigration Justice Project, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Certificate of Appreciation, Mentor, American Bar Association’s Immigration Justice Project, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Emerging Entrepreneur Award, National Latina Business Association, 2011
- Finalist, Daily Transcript Top Family Law Attorney, 2012
- 2016 AILA San Diego Chapter Pro Bono Champion Award
- 2016 Attorney of the Year Award by San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association